What is Carfax and Autocheck
These are third party vendors who specialize in looking over vehicles title history. Think of them as the “medical records” for the car. They help to answer many important issues in a pre-owned car.
- Has an accident ever been reported on the vehicle?
- How many people have owned this vehicle?
- Has the vehicle been damaged by floods, fires, hail or other natural disaster?
- Is the mileage on the odometer accurate?
- Has the vehicle ever been recalled?
- Was the vehicle used as a service vehicle (police car, taxi, etc.)?
- Has the vehicle ever had a branded title (e.g., junked, salvaged or rebuilt)?
- Was the vehicle ever repossessed or stolen?
- Has the vehicle ever been sold at auction?
- Is there a lien on the vehicle?
When you purchase these reports they can come with guarantees that if the information listed is incorrect you have some monetary recourse.
No matter what, you should always have the used vehicle you plan to buy examined by a certified mechanic to make sure any possible issues are diagnosed and resolved before you spend your money.